Monday, February 15, 2010

French Toast Casserole

Generously butter sides and bottom of crockpot - abt 1 Tbsp butter

Add slices of dry bread with cream cheese spread onto the bread, placing the cream cheese side down:

I had made a loaf of bread in my breadmaker and left it in the machine for a few days. I used the whole loaf except for the heels. It's a round pan, 5" wide and 6" tall.

Sprinkle over the bread: 1 1/2 cups blueberries (optional) I didn't have any, bummer!

In mixing bowl, combine:

8 eggs, beaten
1 cup cream
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
pinch salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Pour over the bread/berries in the crockpot. Gently press the bread down into the egg mixture, let it sit for ten minutes, pressing down occasionally into the egg mixture. Sprinkle with a little bit more cinnamon and cover.

Cook on LOW for 3 hours. It will be slightly browned on the edges when it's done.

Scoop out and drizzle with maple syrup, your favorite fruit sauce and/or powdered sugar.

*WOW! My 7 year old (the pickiest of us all) gobbled this one up! I'm pretty excited about that. In Michael's words, "This is GOOD french toast!" I'm thinking that it will make the perfect brunch or breakfast for dinner. It was great for lunch today. YUM!

4 comments:

  1. I will try this for dinner tomorrow night. It sounds wonderful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for adding the "followers" widget! I am so excited to read and experiment with all these fun crockpot ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did try this and it was delicious. I had the leftovers for breakfast the next day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete